Several Philippine flags emerged earlier than what it is now. The first flag was designed by Andres Bonifacio, which then called Bonifacio flag and followed by some versions of the revolutionary flags called Katipunan flags. Llanera’s flag came out and eventually followed by Pio del Pilar’s flag. Gregorio del Pilar’s flag came out and then the Magdiwang flag.
The present design of the flag was implemented by Emilio Aguinaldo, who, during his exile in Hongkong, requested Marcela Agoncillo to sew it. She was assisted by her daughter Lorenza and Delfina Herbosa de Natividad in the task. When finished, the flag was raised during the proclamation of Philippine Independence in Kawit, Cavite on June 12, 1898. Its last public display was during the death of Emilio Aguinaldo in 1964.
Manuel L. Quezon standardized the Philippine flag’s size and color through an executive order in March 25, 1936. The flag has two sides, blue for peace and red for courage that merge into a white triangle with a sun and three stars. The eight rays of the sun represent the provinces that led the revolution of 1896, while the stars stand for the main islands of Luzon, Visayas, and Mindanao.